Friday, August 1, 2008

Film & Music

For as long as i can remember, and mind you my memory sux, the film soundtrack has been an important part of a film. The spectrum is huge. Personally i can recall a huge number of movies that are perfectly embedded in my memory. All that needs bring them back to me is a song.

Stuck in the Middle With You - Pulp Fiction
Performed by Stealers Wheel

John Williams Soundtracks

American Graffiti Soundtrack - George Lucas. The story actually goes that Lucas invented the American Soundtrack. Apparently he made it possible for Filmmakers to use contemporary music in films. Prior to this Films used classical music or music composed to fit the films tones. In this film Lucas uses popular contemporary music. That still survives in the American Consciousness as Oldies, the original Rock & Roll movement. It all sounds poppy by today standards of hard drums, loud electric guitars, big bass sounds and attention on the singers voice. It would have been incredible to be a teenager back in the 60s. Compared to what had come before. The sound of the music was all about having fun and cutting loose. Now, I'm not so sure what we're all trying to cut loose from. Maybe we're all unsure about how far the industry can go. But alas Laissez-Faire for me! Songs that remind me how original things still can be include songs from Playlist 3: Time to Pretend, Aly Walk With Me, Crimeweave. I feel there's something for everyone in this playlist. Right down to the Gently cover. Shimabukuro makes it sound fresh and original. I was listening to it today on the way to Gorda. I actually had to listen to some Silence on the way home. The music was depressing me. I surprised myself. I went to work today and just felt so estranged. It's really time for me to leave. I'm glad I've resolved myself to do it. Funny I have no idea what i'll do in NYC. No fucking clue haha. We'll see where life takes me. I watched a good movie Green Street Hooligans tonight with Elijah Wood he says something after the initial fight of the film: Once you've taken a few punches and realise you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go.

Into the Wild Soundtrack - Eddie Vedder
Classics include: Hard Sun & Society & No Ceiling

Trouble by Cat Stevens
I heard that Elliot Smith did a cover of this just before he died/khs. If anyone has that i'd love to hear it. This story brings me back to the incredible film A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints. A genuine film. I really enjoyed this one. The song is so powerful, magicful, etc. I really think this song would just have been another Cat Stevens song if this film hadn't memorialized as THE Cat Stevens song. I imagine it would be tough to grasp the power of this songs story without the story of Saints in your head.

Into the Wild & A Guide... are incredible films everyone should see them. I'm seriously considering trading in my 401k which is only about 006k right now and taking a year off of "life" & "society" to read, write, live, find myself, etc. I drove from Monterey down to Gorda today. It's about 80 Miles sout of Monterey. Took me about 2 hours to get down there. I drove down in my alpine white beemer from the 80s. It's a classic. It's quick and cute. You'd like it too if you saw it. What is it's soundtrack? I can't decide. But when i set out on my great adventure I hope i find out. I was planning on quitting my job in January and moving to New York City. But I'm thinking of really taking a drive. I can't imagine leaving the beauty of Monterey and heading straight for a big city, where i have the sense that i'd feel very alone and claustrophobic in all at the same time. Even though I know people there. A helluva lot more folks than i know in Monterey, which is about 2. My roomie Jesse and Kurt PS3 who calls me TedBox 360. We met at the PS3 line at Target i was number 7 and he was number 8, they had 6 PS3s so we were kind of bummed we wouldn't be making a profit of 9,000 dollars instantly after buying this sucker. But now we know. Camping out for 3 days actually pays off.

I feel i could go on and on, but i guess that's what blogging is all about, We'll come back to this topic again sometime. Glad i got that out of my system though. What's that device Dumlydore uses in Harry Potter to save his memories? Pensieve!! that's it. Thanks Wikipedia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home