Saturday, August 2, 2008

Phones I've Had Over the Years

Let's take a little journey back in time

The year is 1997 my dad buys me some POS Nokia. (Obviously at the time it was a sick phone. By 2000 standards it was a POS). I could call home from anywhere. It had some gangster black and white face plate on it. I moved to japan in Jan of '98, so half way through sophmore year. Great, it could make phone calls and we could play snake on it. Grand. We went to NYC and played snake while waiting for our buddy to come back with our fake ids. I still have it. I charge it up every few years and play snake on it. That game is classic, 2, 4, 6, 8 what buttons do we appreciate! those were the controls very simple up down left right. Just don't close in on yourself. you'll die. We waited and waited for those fake ids but lost 160 bills a piece and our friend drove this guy 20 minutes uptown to go get them. he got out of the taxi and never came back. We were like uh...this sux. I think this phone introduced us to text messagine on phones. We were already used to AIM and ICQ, but txting on a phono. el amazingo!

Upgrade Numero Uno: Dad got me in on a Metro PCS phone some POS phone (at the time it really was a POS phone) that could make calls in the metro and it was super cheap. We had that for about three months and then learned that metro and subway were different so it only worked some of the time and it sucked at making calls in Tokyo because theres big fucking buildings everywhere. The phone kinda sucked because it was el-cheapo, it was all in japanese. i could only make phone calls by dialing memorized numbers cause i couldn't figure out how to use it otherwise.

Upgrade Numero Dos: J-Phone. My pops and I both got two J-Phones from some swanky J-Phone company, long before iPhones and i's became more popular than J's. I got a metallic orange one and he got a army green one. They had nifty little velcro things that clipped to your belt so you never had to worry about it. It clicked on and swung around till kingdom come. It was grand. It was strictly a phone for making calls and sending text messages. Other than that it hung at my side like a loyal companion.

Upgrade Numero Tres: Sony Ericsson T637. If i could find a brand new one of these today, i'd totally get all over it. I never had reception probs with this phone. The numbers mashed great. Took great photos. It really introduced me to the greatness of the SE operating system. something i'm daily trying to imitate on the iPhone 3G.

Downgrade Numero Uno: I upgraded to the W600i after my T637 keys had been replaced twice and just kept getting dirt stuck in them making it virtually unuseable. The battery kept dying and at&t kept calling to tell me i was due for an upgrade. So i was like shit its practically free so why not. So dumbly i agreed to the new W600i. The latest walkman phone from SE. Well this thing kinda sucked. It was fatter than my T637. It weighed more. The keys wer uglier. It was one of those pointless flip phones. But it introduced one great feature. Walkman! This thing is a glorified boombox i swear. It's smoking it jams out tunes. nonstop. I used to love taking it down to Carmel Beach and smoking a cigar blasting Beatles - A Day in the Life. or The Growlers - Track 4 my ringtone of choice. Aesthetically speaking it was a downgrade. It was bigger, fatter, heavier, bulkier, obtusier, unrefined, unsexy, uncool. I took it to Euope though and it cranked out 500 dollars worth of phone calls while i bumped about Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, London, etc. I know it was 500 dollars cause i got the bill when i got back. But hey i was travelling alone, calling people to say what up. It was awesome, worth every penny.

Upgrade Numero 4: iPhone 3G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home